Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Green Bay Packers Game

My dad and I are the lone Packer fans in all of our family and extended family. My dad has been a fan since his childhood, and I became a fan for 2 reasons: 1) to support my dad since his family is all vikings fans, and 2) when I started watching pro football, it was when Favre was the quarterback and he's pretty cute.  

Green Bay is way up in NE Wisconsin and we don't find ourselves in Wisconsin often, so I figured 20 or 30 years from now I'd go up there to a game... more specifically a September game when it's still relatively warm outside. Marc has known for a long time that this was #1 on my Bucket List (and on my dad's too...  he's in his 60's and had never been to Green Bay) so Marc thought it would be better for me to see a game in true Packer form. He sent my dad and myself up there for a January playoff game. BRRRRRR!! This past Friday we were on our way to the Frozen Tundra. To the Mecca of the NFL. The one and only Lambeau Field! Thanks, Marc :)

When we got there Friday, we decided to just drive to the stadium and look around. It was even cooler (and colder) than I thought it would be. Saturday, we took the stadium tour which included going into a suite, going on the field, and walking through the player's tunnel. After the tour, we saw the Packers Hall of Fame where we got to see the Super Bowl trophy from last season. Then we had a delicious bratwurst lunch at Curly's Pub (named after Curly Lambeau - founder/player/coach of the Packers) inside the Lambeau Field Atrium.

Sunday was game day! The Packers vs. the Giants. I won't talk about how disappointed I am with the results. Instead, I'll tell you how awesome of an atmosphere Lambeau Field is for football. Jerry World has nothing on this place. The fans are friendly... and you get to know them well because they all have on half a dozen layers and the seats are all bleachers. Not much elbow room. The concessions are great. The stadium gets really loud. And you get to watch the Packers! Even though Sunday's game was disappointing, I have to think one rotten game is much less disappointing than watching a Cowboy's season. Sorry, Dallas friends :)

Anyway, it was a trip of a lifetime and now I get to start a new Bucket List! Thank you to Marc for sending me to Green Bay! 


Vince Lombardi Statue


Curly Lambeau Statue


Inside the Atrium. The field on the floor is lined up with the actual field outside.

The field from a suite - covered  up because of some snow they had that week

A suite - maybe I should put THIS on my bucket list. I wouldn't have to wear so many layers in here!

The sign at the end of the player's tunnel

My dad and me on the field

Reason #2 I became a Packer fan

I like that they have a Texas plate in the Hall of Fame

Super Bowl Trophy

Dress Rehearsal - had to make sure everything would fit!

About to go into the game! The sign said "Packers Fans From Texas" and had FOX in black... didn't get on TV though 

Aaron Rodgers and Matt Flynn warming up

Troy Aikman in his sunglasses above the NFL on FOX sign

PACKERS!

National Anthem

B1 Bomber flying over

Kickoff

Packers on offense

2 Happy Packers fans - not because of the outcome, but because we got to go to Lambeau Field for a game!

0 comments: