Friday, January 15, 2010

Joseph's Surgery

After 5 double ear infections in just over 3 months, it was time to put tubes in Joseph's ears. So, we were up REALLY early to get him checked in at the hospital for his surgery at 7. The worst part for him was that he couldn't eat until after the surgery. Marc and I had to distract a very tired, very hungry little boy for over an hour. We got him back to his room and put his Looney Tunes gown on him, which was way too big, but he still looked cute. I don't think he was convinced because a gown is kind of girly, but oh well. He did enjoy the remote control for the TV though! A little before 7, the doctor came and got him and he was done about 10 minutes later. When he came to in the recovery room, he was the most unhappy I've ever seen him. This is a boy who LOVES to eat and sleep. He cried when I woke him up for the surgery and he gets to eat right away on a normal morning. However, this little guy was mad about being hungry and overly tired. I fed him right away, but he still screamed for about 30 minutes. Maybe the anesthetics had something to do with it too. He finally stopped when we left the recovery room to get into our car. I don't think we made it out of the parking lot before he was fast asleep. Poor little man!

The surgery went well. He didn't act like he had any pain all day. In fact, he played harder than normal. Maybe because his head finally felt right! The doctor said there was so much fluid in his ears that hadn't cleared with antibiotics that it was more of a goo than a liquid. Yuk! And to have that in your ears for 3 straight months can't be comfortable. He's such a happy kid and it's so great to see him without any pain! Praise God for a successful surgery! We thank God every day for our wonderful family!

In the waiting room at 5:30 am.


Wearing his sweet little gown

Daddy, please don't make me wear this AND have surgery!

Yes!! I get to eat now!!!

More food!! I feel so much better now :)

0 comments: